Sunday 19 April 2015

Movie Review: Wolf Cop


There seems to be an affection for the old fashion grindhouse movie lately. I'm guessing many of the kids who grew up on the same films I did are now making the movies like the ones they used to watch. Back in 2007, Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez actually made a movie (or two movies in one) called Grindhouse. This spawned cult hits like Machete and Hobo with a Shotgun. I myself am that same type of kid who grew up on renting movies like Puppet Master and Driller Killer so this type of resurgence is right up my alley. That's why it didn't take me long to jump on the latest one Wolf Cop. He's half man, half wolf, all cop. And this film is half horror, half comedy. ALL AWESOME!

Wolf Cop follows the story of Lou Garou, an alcoholic deputy in small town, who really shouldn't have a job anymore. One night while actually trying to do his job he is kidnapped and put through some kind of strange ritual which leaves him little memory of the night before, a scar on his chest (shaped like a pentagram) and an enhanced sense of smell. Soon enough, he discovers he is actually a werewolf (or is he more of a wolf man?) and uses his new found abilities to improve his job performance. It is discovered that the town has a dark secret and only Wolf Cop can get to the bottom of it. It appears that Lou isn't the first Wolf Man to be running around this town and there is a bigger purpose to his transformation. There are scares, laughs and plenty of action and not to mention a Wolf Cop! How can you go wrong?

The great thing about this film is it's ability to balance the horror and the comedy. The gore and scares are actually pretty effective (this film has the best werewolf transformation scene I've seen in a long time) and the comedy is spot on. Leo Farad, who plays Lou, plays his role perfectly, knowing when to ham it up and when to tone it down. There are also plenty of one liners. I loved the scene in which an Asian convenience store owner describes "A BIG A FUC*IN WOLF A COP" saved his store from a robbery. Or when Wolf Cop peels out of the station only to stop and say hello to a bum on the street. And any movie with a werewolf love scene in a jail cell set to Gowan's Moonlight Desires is aces in my books. Yes, Gowan, it's a Canadian film, icing on the cake err the Timbit, if you will. There are plenty of references to werewolf movies of the past such as The Howling, The Wolf Man and it clearly borrows from Teen Wolf, but still manages to seem original as it has it's own vibe and frankly, feels very Canadian.

The perfect evening: Wolf Cop and sum Fish n Chips
The movie is sure to be a cult favourite years from now and I for one HAD to get this Blu Ray the day it came out. It was sort of my birthday present to myself and how I celebrated was to have some fish n chips and view this film proper with m'lady. My wife even seemed to enjoy this film despite the fact that she doesn't always love this type of movie. I don't think I could've convinced her to watch Sorority Babes in the Dance a Thon of Death with me, if you know what I mean. And that's why I am recommending this films for anyone and not just those who love "genre films" (I hate that phrase, isn't every movie technically part of some kind of genre?). I really believe if you give this movie a chance beyond the crazy title and plot, you to will be howling at the moon for Wolf Cop!

Best Scene: Moonlight Desires Love Scene
Worst Scene: None
Rating: 10/10
Viewed on: Blu Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment