Saturday 25 April 2015

Movie Review: Evil Bong 420


Look, I'm not a stoner. I've never smoked pot in my life and likely never will. However, I do seem to enjoy things that "stoners" seem to like: Bob Marley, snacking, laughing to myself hysterically for no reason and the Evil Bong films. I am a huge fan of Full Moon Features and I've seen most of the films in the franchise and have always found them to be entertaining. So, upon it's release (on April 20th!) I got home from work, grabbed some munchies, rolled a fatty (which was really just me rolling off the couch to turn on my Roku player) and prepared myself for the ultimate trip!

For those that don't know, Evil Bong is a cursed bong (looks more like a hookah) that when smoked takes the souls of those who use it, or something like that. I guess they end up in Bong World which is where Eebee (get it E.B=Evil Bong) resides. Now, in the last movie she crossed paths with the Ginerdead Man (you read that right), who is another baddie from the Full Moon franchise of the same name. He now resides in Bong World as well so she can keep him under control. Rabbit (a reoccuring character from the Bong films) has escaped Bong World and has opened a topless bowling alley. There are shiny balls and boobs everywhere in this place and Rabbit is happy to supply other kinds of party favors (in the form of grass he stole from Bong World). Eebee takes Gingerdead Man and they go Rabbit hunting. There's boobs, bowling, weed smoking, racial stereotypes, boobs, weed smoking, Ooga Booga (another Full Moon baddie), a pig clown guy, a weed blower, boobs and...did I mention boobs? Holy Moly.

Evil Bong 420 is clearly a film made for die hard Full Moon fanatics that will get a kick out of seeing Eebee and good ol' Ginerdead Man again and will love seeing the blatant product placement of pretty much everything you can buy on Full Moon's website. Gingerdead Man is clearly the star here, even though it is not his movie. With his bad baking analogies and lust for blood, he makes for a very entertaining character despite being a pretty cookie cutter bad guy (uh no, I'm doing it too!) He even gets a love scene! Seeing a gingerbread cookie have sex is well...something to see, that's for sure. I loved the "Weed Blower" which Rabbit uses to shoot out happiness in a puff of smoke that seems to has an immediate effect on the people who inhale it. I don't know much about smoking pot, but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. It was a good gimmick nonetheless. There was some good jabs at current pop culture like making fun of the Kardashian's and hipsters. Bong World looks pretty cool despite being a green screen and being it was the only time we were out of the bowling alley it was good it looked cool. Mindy Robinson, who plays one of Rabbit's employees, is great as always and the rest of the cast is clearly having a great time.

The come down to Evil Bong 420 is that if you're not a Full Moon nut like me, you probably won't really dig it. I mean, maybe this movie will be enjoyed by teenage boys who smoke dope in the their mom's basement, but the average film fan or even horror fan, not really. There was definitely a lack of blood and kills in the movie, in fact, none at all. Strange, I just noticed that. Ooga Booga's appearance felt out of place, not sure why he was there, maybe I'm missing something. There's also some pointless dialogue (a trademark of the Evil Bong films), that drags on in a movie that is only 50 minutes long. That's right, less than an hour. Just when Eebee appears in the bowling alley the movie ends. Was this just a 50 minute infomercial for stuff you can buy from Full Moon? Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect a masterpiece from Charles Band. However, I really felt like this film was sort of just put out there for no reason, other than to market new products.

Look, if you're looking for something to watch while you chill out to for an hour munching on some Cheetos, than Evil Bong 420 may be your thing. Or, if your like me and just a big Full Moon fan and try to see anything they put out, well, you've already seen it. This movie entertained me and is an easy watch, but the length left me wanting more. Perhaps one day we'll get the second half of the film: Evil Bong 420 and a Half anybody?

Best Scene: Ginerdead Man's propositioning an alley girl.
Worst Scene: Ending after 50 minutes
Rating: 6/10
Viewed on: Full Moon Streaming

No comments:

Post a Comment